Thursday, September 5, 2024

 A lady at church asked me to quilt her Bethlehem Star quilt.  She has worked so hard for a few years to piece this quilt for her daughter.


Here it is in front of my husband's pepper "garden".  (He has six pepper plants that he grows in buckets.)


She requested that I quilt this one with Circle Lord Swirls Giant Template Board.  


The yellow thread that I had on hand just sunk right in to this quilt and did not take away from the beautiful design.

I sit by this friend in church most weeks.  We always talk about how God brought us together one evening at a church dinner.  We just happened to be placed at the same table because of how many people were in our group.  The other couple at the table knew that I was a quilter and mentioned something that she saw me post on instagram.  That was the start of it all.  We then couldn't stop talking about quilts and flowers.  She is amazing at growing flowers!  She loves to save seeds and share them with friends.  

Below is a picture of my poppy plant from earlier this year.  She gave me this plant start.  I carefully planted it in the "protected area" of my chicken yard.  I don't want the chickens to destroy these plants, but the dirt in this area is so rich that I don't want to give it up to the chickens.  I do let little chicks in the area because they don't seem to do the damage that the big flock does.  But isn't this poppy stunning?


I decided to move the ornamental grass out of the protected area after the poppy finished blooming.  I have plenty of it on the property.  I'm making room for more beautiful poppies next spring.






4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The star quilt is very special to your friend, good job with the quilting! Love the poppy, so beautiful. A row of blooming poppies will be awesome!

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out beautiful! I am sure your friend will treasure it. I had no luck with my poppy growing this year. The few I had last year didn't come back and I threw down hundreds of seeds and not a one grew. I guess it was just too hot. That clump of poppies is wonderful. The fun part is seeing poppies pop up in place where you didn't plant them.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting! And what a neat way to find a new friend. We had a neighbor when I was growing up who had beautiful poppies just like that. How we loved them. My sister and I played house, and we used the seed pods as "pepper shakers"! Thanks for that memory!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Poppies are beautiful. I have one large red one. The flowers don't last long here, but the red is delicious. Wonderfully pieced and quilted quilt. I actually grew 6 red pepper plants this year in a raised container and had a small harvest, wonders be in my little lot! Wish I could have chickens and maybe a sheep.