Saturday, August 31, 2024

On the Frame

 I have some quilting/sewing to do.  I've decided to interrupt my busy schedule to post about them.  


This quilt belongs to my friend that is 94.  I have quilted so many quilts for her.  I've had it to quilt for her since the beginning of July.  She's in no rush for it, but it's time to finish it and get it back to her.  Her eyesight isn't as good as it once was, but her mind is sharp as a tack.  You can see the big seams on the back of the quilt.  But look how beautifully the squares match up and the multiple borders she has learned in the past six or seven years that I have been quilting for her.  She still cuts each square with scissors.  For this quilt her son made her a square template out of the side of a milk carton.  She has learned that the cardboard square that she was using was getting smaller as she used it as she carefully traced around it with a pencil on the back of the fabric.  That is what caused previous quilts to be wider and the beginning and more narrow as she sewed.  She doesn't cut all her squares at once.  She cuts them as she needs them and then sews the row together!  Some days she only sews a few blocks together, some days she does two rows.  I know she still loves to go through the scrap bags!


3 comments:

Karen said...

So glad to hear from you! Glad you are just busy! Love your spiral quilting.

Kathy S. said...

Thanks, Karen. I definitely took a long break from quilting. I am going to try to fit it in here and there. Balance is easier said than done.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Glad to see a post again! Come back more often and share what you are quilting.