Saturday, February 29, 2020

RSC20 -- Working on Sand Castle Blocks

Here are the four Sand Castle blocks I made this week.  Sand Castle is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.


I only need a few more black/grey blocks and I can start assembling the quilt top for my Sand Castles quilt.  I know I'm supposed to be working on orange this month.  (There are a few orange 4-patches used here.)  I'd like to work on finishing some of my RSC projects vs. starting new ones this year.

We celebrate LEAP DAY here!  We found that the extra day in the year is a good time to celebrate our EXTRA CHROMOSOME.  This year it's the slogan, "It's okay to be different."  Different Down Syndrome support groups all over our state have big events planned.  We will be going to see the Cleveland Cav's tonight.  Shhh!  It's a secret from our homie with the extra chromie.  He will be getting a special court side recognition.  I'm sure I'll be on the jumbo tron with him.  Hopefully my husband will be able to get some great photos.

My son's orange hat was at the top of the list today.  It's old and the entire fold in the hat is worn.  This will be it's "last chance" mending.


I fluffed through these neutrals so that I could make some kite blocks.  I love fluffing fabric!


I also worked with my orange scraps.  I didn't get any kite blocks (another Bonnie Hunter pattern) completed, but all the pieces are cut and sub-assemblies have been formed:




My husband always has ongoing projects as well.  He was trying to "sneak" another big piece of equipment home this week...again...  Our son and I were supposed to leave for speech.  We left a little later than usual.  I found this in the driveway on my husband's truck:


It's a really big (to us) band saw.  He has plans for it.  I really don't care when he goes out and buys this stuff.  I can buy the things that I/we need.  I only worry WHERE he's going to PUT it.  Guess he'll be bringing home more stuff to build another building.  LOL.



It seems like quilters just LOVE their pets.  Here's a picture of one of our cats.  This kitten was born on my birthday, 8/20.  I was calling it Morris.  Our son re-named it Yellow Mellow.  He's a cutie, but I still can't pet it.  It is coming to the food bowl while I stand there.  It's a month or less away from me petting it.  It does love to mimic it's older sibling, Cooper.  Cooper likes to lay down in front of me while walking so that I stop and rub her belly.

Here he is on his warm, sunny spot on a cold (20 degrees F) winter day.  Our winter has been quite mild this year.  Woohoo!


I'm linking up at Angela's blog, SoScrappy for the RSC20.

grab button for SoScrappy

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Have fun at the game tonight, sounds like a very special event for a special young man. Love the cat pictures!

Cathy said...

Bruce and I giggled about your “homie with the extra chrome” and the special Leap Year plans to celebrate at the Cavs game. You’ll have to tell us how it went and share pictures, too. (Hugs). loved this post - even the cats are orange (orange tabbies are my favorites!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love Sandcastle blocks - can't wait to see your quilt come together! I'm tempted to start one of my own! Happy Leap Day to your son, and have fun at the game tonight!

Deb A said...

Tonight sounds like a fun time. Hope he has a great time. Morris is adorable.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad that you found some time to spend with your ORANGE scraps, Kathy!! I'm really looking forward to seeing your Sand Castle quilt come together. Happy stitching! Post pictures from the game soon, too.