Saturday, November 28, 2020

Scrap Happy Saturday -- The Lineup

 It's Scrap Happy Saturday.  I've been part of the RSC for a few years now.  Each month Angela at So Scrappy announced the color of scrap that focus on using.  Each Saturday we link up and cheer each other on with our ongoing projects of busting scraps.  

During November and December we do not concentrate on certain colors, but work on finishing projects.  We had a very low-key Thanksgiving holiday.  My husband had the flu for seven days now -- we really hope it is the flu...  I spent time finishing little tasks to get things closer to the finish.  This bag is the result of things that are now considered move-to-the-longarm stage!

You can see the red strip on the bottom was added to my Garden Party quilt top.  I put an edge around it to make it easier to longarm.  All those little 1.5" squares on the edge would seem like a big challenge for me to longarm.  Most of the red will get cut off, but it will give me a nice edge. I started this Garden Party quilt (design by Bonnie Hunter) on 3-18-2017.   Thanksgiving weekend I pieced a back for this quilt.  I didn't get a pic with the edge on it, but here's the quilt top:


Another RSC project in the bag is Soul Searching.  A few years ago, a bloggy friend in California, Julianne, and I decided to make RSC quilts blocks, turn them in to quilt tops, and then SWAP quilt tops!  I received it in the mail on 8/29/19.  We did not post about these "secret" blocks until the quilts were swapped.  I found a really soft flannel sheet that I am going to use for a back for that quilt.  Here's a pic of the top that is now in que to be quilted.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with the sheet for the back or not, but right now in my mind I am.  I was going to put a Cross border on this quilt and make it bigger, but I'm thinking that I know who will be the recipient of this special quilt and it is plenty big enough as it is.  We shall see...




My friend's crib quilt is in the bag.  When she gave me her quilt to longarm for her she gave me a back that was almost the same size as the top.  I added to the back so that I can clamp it to my longarm frame for quilting.  It's a small quilt.  I hope I can finish it for her before Christmas.  Here's a pic of that quilt:


Sometimes this cheering is a wonderful thing.  Other times it causes me to see squirrels and start more projects.  (It's all in fun.  I'm using scraps and not buying new fabrics. I probably have enough scraps that were given to me to last a long, long time.

Last week this tub was empty.  Now it's full!  All I need is for it to stay warm just a little while longer so that I can get these on and off the machine.  I like to keep the longarm "dressed" and ready to go for when the nice days come.




I'm linking up these projects with the RSC20.

Check out all the fun at Angela's blog, SoScrappy.





10 comments:

maggie fellow said...

every move forward is a move forward - great job

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck on getting through that To Be Quilted bin, Kathy!!

scraphappy said...

So nice to see your bin of quilts ready to be finished. What a nice way to keep everything moving forward. Love the Soul Searching blocks. So fun to swap with a friend.

Chantal said...

Your Garden Party is just awesome ... and huge!! Wow! Enjoy your visit with the long arm! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

My pile of "to-be-quilted" tops keeps growing, too! Your Garden Party quilt is just gorgeous - what an accomplishment!

Cathy said...

I love Garden Party. I still have the magazine open with the pattern somewhere in the sewing room. I think it is buried now. But I still hope to make one someday. I have the book with Soul Searching in it too (Kathy Doughty book???) and think I have it bookmarked for a someday make. You've inspired me to go pattern searching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just adore that Garden Party. I have one quilt with one row left to do on the longarm all week. Distractions are a killer.

Jenny said...

Oh dear, sick with flu for seven days, perhaps having a covid test would be sensible, just in case.
I've done a Soul Searching quilt too, and it I one of my favourites.

mangozz said...

Nice job on Garden Party! I've always liked that quilt design.

grammajudyb said...

Garden Party is just gorgeous! I’m interested in the Soul Searching block! I’m on the hunt for a pattern!